Water Facts

15 Interesting Drinking Water Facts

Chris Tracey ·

    Water Facts


    1. Did you know that about 70 percent of the average adult’s body is made up of water?
    2. Water accounts for nearly 80 percent of a newborn's body weight.
    3. By the time you begin to feel thirsty, your body has lost over 1 percent of its total amount of water.
    4. The weight we lose directly after intense physical activity is not fat but rather from water loss.
    5. The daily recommended amount of water for the average adult is at least eight cups per day.
    6. Keep in mind that coffee, soft drinks, and tea contain caffeine. Caffeine acts as a mild diuretic, which means it prevents water from going to the necessary parts of the body.
    7. Water can dissolve more substances than any other known liquid. It can do this because it contains a variety of chemicals, minerals, and nutrients.
    8. Nearly 70 to 75 percent of the earth’s surface is underneath water.
    9. More of the earth's fresh water is located underground than is found in surface sources. Underground water sources are known as aquifers.
    10. Did you know that the same water that existed on planet earth some millions of years ago is still on earth today.
    11. The total amount of water on the earth is estimated to be about 326 million cubic miles of water.
    12. While the earth has a lot of water on it, we humans can only use an estimated three-tenths of one percent of this water. This water that humans can actually get to and use is located aquifers, rivers, and freshwater lakes.
    13. A little known fact is that the United States uses almost 80 percent of its available water for either irrigation or thermoelectric power.
    14. Flushing the toilet takes up the largest amount of water the average person uses on a daily basis.
    15. Nearly 85 percent of residents receive their household water from public water treatment facilities. The remaining 15 percent are supplied by their own water that comes from private wells or other sources.


    Leave a comment

    Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

    Subscribe to our newsletter

    Sign up for our newsletter to recieve news, promotions, and annoucements.