Although the American public has been somewhat brainwashed about the benefits of fluoride, it is actually apparent that this toxic substance can cause a great deal of harm. Most American cities have fluoridated water, ostensibly to help prevent tooth decay. However, the level of tooth decay is no higher in European cities that do not add fluoride to the drinking water.
Fluoride is actually a byproduct of the fertilizer industry and is so toxic that dumping it proved to be environmentally hazardous. In seeking for some way to dispose of it, the idea was postulated of putting it into the country’s drinking water. This was not only a good way to get rid of the stuff, but also to make a profit from a poisonous waste product.
Until fairly recently, those who opposed involuntary fluoridation of water were considered to be crackpots, but a new finding by the American Dental Association (ADA) puts a somewhat different light on fluoride. The ADA now recommends that infants no longer be given prepared liquid formulas since these have been made with fluoride. All baby food and dry formulas should be prepared using fluoride free water, too.
Dental fluorosis, discoloration of the teeth by fluoride, is probably one of the more benign effects of this water borne poison, which also include:
- Skeletal fluorosis, an arthritis-like condition.
- Brain damage, since fluoride seems to have the ability to cross the blood/brain barrier. It has been linked not only to lowere IQs in children, but also to Alzheimer’s.
- Fluoride contributes to bone fractures and intensifies the effects of osteoporosis.
- Early onset of puberty is seen in girls who have been exposed to fluoridated water.
- Decreased male fertility occurs in areas where fluoride levels are high.
- Fluoride can also cause hyperthyroidism.
Providing Safe Water for Your Family
The above are just a smattering of the health problems that have been associated with fluoridated water. If your water supply adds fluoride to the water, you can still remove this substance to provide water that is safe for everyone in the family to drink. There are 2 kinds of home water filter systems that will remove fluoride from water:
- Reverse osmosis filters are excellent at removing fluoride from water. RO works by using the force of the tap water to push the water through a series of membranes. RO will remove not only fluoride but also heavy metals, bacteria, and viruses.
- Activated alumina filters are another good option for removing fluoride. These units are less in cost than reverse osmosis, so will be accessible to nearly everyone. For best results, team them up with an activated charcoal and KDF filter to remove VOC’s and heavy metals.
Filters to remove fluoride can be simple countertop models, under the sink units, or whole house filters, but all will do a good job at making sure that your water is safe to drink.