- Lead poisoning is a very serious condition, and lead can cause damage to nearly every part of the body. Damage can be done to the kidneys, brain, heart, gastrointestinal system, and reproductive system. In large enough doses, lead poisoning can cause death.
- Mercury is another dangerous metal that can find its way into the water supply. Mercury causes neurological problems which can cause irreversible damage to the brain.
- Cadmium causes a wide range of health problems from cardiovascular involvement, mental confusion, impairment of the immune system, skin rashes, vomiting, emphysema, cancer, and kidney damage.
Heavy metals can enter a water supply through a number of sources. Old lead piping in private homes or even antiquated municipal water systems can leach lead into the water. Lead and the other heavy metals can also occur because of run off from industrial operations and mining. As these metals are naturally occurring substances, they can enter water simply as rock formations that contain them weather and release them.
Assuring Safe Water for Your Family
The best way to make sure that heavy metals are not being consumed by your family through drinking or cooking water is to use a filter that will remove these pollutants. Not every water filter is designed to do this, and most pitcher filters will not provide the cleansing ability needed to make the water safe although Seychelle pitcher filters are great for removing heavy metals and a wide range of contaminants. There are several filter options, however, that will remove most, if not all of heavy metals from your water supply:
- Reverse osmosis filters do a very good job of removing heavy metals from the water. Whole house filters will assure that not only will drinking water be pure, but that water used for bathing will also be uncontaminated.
- Filters with KDF and carbon are also good at removing most heavy metals from water. Lead, copper, and mercury will be trapped by the carbon.
- Distillation filters are available as either whole house or countertop units and will remove literally every trace of heavy metals from the water.
Considering the harm that heavy metals can do to you and your family, especially to babies and young children, using an appropriate water filtering system is only sensible. Whether you live in an urban, industrial area or in a rural setting, there is always the possibility of water contamination by heavy metals – filtering your water can spare you health problems now and in the future.