Due to state regulations, we are currently not shipping this product to California or Iowa.
Versatility combined with powerful filtration (even capable of removing red food dye from water!) are the hallmarks of the Big Berkey Water Filter Purifier, a gravity feed filtration system that needs neither electricity nor water pressure to operate.
The famous Berkey line began with British Victorian-era military water filters for remote garrisons, and today, the filter is still well suited to emergency situations and anywhere that severely contaminated water needs to be cleaned efficiently without water pressure from a faucet to drive it through a faucet.
The two-chamber filter is constructed of tough, food-grade 304 stainless steel, which resists corrosion and damage, is easy to clean, and is taste neutral. Additional details of the Big Berkey include:
- Stores 2.25 gallons of water in the lower chamber, drained by a spigot.
- Purifies 3.5 gallons of water hourly with 2 Black Berkey elements.
- Can be upgraded to 4 Black Berkey elements to purify 7 gallons of water per hour.
The effectiveness of Black Berkey elements
The filtration elements used in the Big Berkey water filter are so powerful in their cleansing effect that they remove 100% of most contaminants even when tested by having extremely concentrated contaminants filtered through them as a test.
This is achieved in several different ways. The pores in the Black Berkey elements are so tiny that bacteria cannot fit through them. A variety of very effective, proprietary, high-tech media are used in the filters, all of which are designed to provide maximum absorption and filtration.
However, one of the most useful factors is the gravity feed itself – moving at a leisurely pace, the water is in contact with the filter elements far longer than when it is shot through by water pressure from a faucet. Together, these factors enable the following levels of filtration:
- Pathogens are reduced by 99.999% to 99.9999%, including MS2-Fr Coliphage viruses, E. coli, Klebsiella, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Rauoltella terrigena, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium.
- Radon 222 is removed down to non-detectable levels, or in other words, practically 100%.
- Heavy metals such as lead, mercury, cadmium, chromium, and copper are cut by 95%.
- Dozens of volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, are reduced by nearly 100% (below detectable levels), including atrazine, benzene, chlorine, chloroform, DBCP, MTBE, styrene, toluene, and many other solvents, pesticides, industrial chemicals, and insecticides.
Big Berkey flexibility
The Big Berkey is a filter that can be used anywhere that there is a flat surface to set it up on and where there is water in need of filtering. It can be used on the kitchen counter or deep in the tropical bush with equal ease.
Practically any fresh (non-salt) water can be filtered with it, including lakes and rivers, stagnant pools, and muddy or turbid waters. Since it can perform at maximum effectiveness without water pressure or electricity, the Big Berkey can be used in basically any situation around the globe, from a high-class London apartment to the steppes of Kazakhstan.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.